ALERT: Pet owners now need to take extra precautions to prevent exposure of their pets to rat poisons because EPA issued new standards to change rat poison formulations. This has forced companies to make rat poisons which now no longer have antidotes. The company that makes D-Con is currently the only company that has refused to change their formulation. This means they are the only company that makes a rat poison for which there is an antidote treatment for toxicity, Vitamin K1.
BROMETHALIN is the most common new poison that is not responsive to Vitamin K1 treatment.
If you suspect your pet has gotten into rat poison, immediately check the label. If the rat poison contains BROMETHALIN there is no antidote for that product. It becomes very important to decontaminate (make the pet vomit) as soon as possible after ingestion. It is very important to decrease absorption of the poison. If the pet starts to show symptoms of poisoning (seizures, weakness or wobbliness) they must be hospitalized and treated for the symptoms. ALWAYS BRING THE CONTAINER OF THE RAT POISON TO THE CLINIC ALONG WITH YOUR PET. The symptoms usually show up with in 2-24 hours of eating the poison depending on the amount they eat. The prognosis for recovery is poor once symptoms appear.
Cats are much more sensitive to this poison and it takes a very small amount of BROMETHALIN to be fatal.
Other less common and very toxic rat poisons are CHOLECALERFERAL and PHOSPHICIDES. Immediately contact a veterinary clinic if these are ingested. Do not induce vomiting without veterinary instructions.
Always check the label of all rat poisons to see if the antidote is Vitamin K1.
If you have questions regarding rat poisons feel free to contact us or Poison Control 800-222-1222.