Happy Holidays – Remember to keep your special feline and canine companions safe.
The holiday time is always an exciting time of year in our homes. There are different foods, decorations, and plants in the house that we don’t have the rest of the year. This brings excitement for our family and curiosity for our pets. It is important to be aware of some of holiday items that can create potential hazards for your furry friends.
- Plants: Lilies, mistletoe, holly. Poinsettias get a bum rap because at the very most they may only cause a slight irritation.
- Hazards around the Christmas tree: treated tree water, electric cords, tinsel/ribbons, batteries and ornaments.
- Foods: Chocolate, alcoholic beverages, moldy or spoiled food, onions, fatty food, turkey bones and yeast dough.
- Other winter hazards: Antifreeze, liquid potpourris, ice melting products and mouse poison.
These are some of the possible items that could peak your pet’s curiosity and be a danger to them.
If you suspect your pet has ingested any of these items call our veterinary clinic immediately because you may need to seek medical assistance. Also available to answer questions is the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680 or www.petpoisonhelpline.com. There is a charge for the Pet Poison Helpline.